Some of the changes being proposed by the FDA would:
- Require information about the amount of "added sugar" in a food product.
- Update serving size requirements to reflect the amounts people currently eat. (For example, changing the serving size of ice cream from half a cup to a full cup.)
- Require the declaration of potassium and vitamin D. Vitamins A and C would no longer be required on the label.
- Revise the Daily Values for a variety of nutrients such as sodium, dietary fiber and vitamin D.
- Remove "Calories from Fat" from the label.
- Update the format to emphasize certain elements.